Comp Hydro has five objectives based on our prior work developing the Water Systems
Learning Progression, and our current work on developing a learning progression for
learning with and from quantitative data:
- Objective 1: Develop and test instructional curricular units that integrate scientific and computational learning about hydrologic systems.
- Objective 2: Develop and conduct teacher professional development that supports integration of computational thinking and practice into water systems education.
- Objective 3: Investigate how the integration of data modeling and computational thinking into Earth and environmental science courses supports students’ and teachers’ development of model-based understanding of hydrologic systems and use of computational practices to model and interpret data.
- Objective 4: Investigate teachers’ experiences and perceptions of integrating computational thinking into instruction in order to learn how to support teachers in engaging in these instructional practices.
- Objective 5: Build a digital support platform to facilitate the development and use of the curricular units (Objectives 1 and 2) and the proposed research (Objectives 3 and 4).